If you’re a Bikeability provider, please visit the Bikeability professionals site.
Get comfortable, confident and safe in the saddle
There’s a Bikeability level to suit you, whether you’re just starting out or want to use your bike more safely and more often. Our professional instructors will help you develop better, safer cycling habits.
We’re training better cyclists
Bikeability is underpinned by the National Standard for cycle training; a government-recognised set of principles for better and safer cycling. Bikeability is an improved, updated and more relevant version of the old cycling proficiency scheme, delivered by professional instructors.
Join in – learn the skills you need, your way
Bikeability courses are available throughout the year in every local authority in England. Children and adults can be trained individually or in groups, through school, clubs or private tuition.
Your school may already have signed up to receive Bikeability sessions! Contact your school direct to find out if sessions are scheduled for this year. If not, search for Bikeability providers in your area.
Thousands of schools are signed-up to receive Bikeability already. If your child is in Year 5 or above, ask your school when Bikeability is coming.
My local authority
Most local authorities offer Bikeability for children, adults and families, sometimes at reduced cost or even for free.
With a local provider
Local providers can help you build a Bikeability training session that fits your needs – contact any of the providers listed to discuss.
Level 1 gives you the skills to ride your bike with excellent control. This will prepare you for cycling on the road. At Level 1 you can:
- prepare yourself and your bike for cycling
- get on and off your bike without help
- start off, pedal and stop with control
- pedal along, use gears and avoid objects
- look all around and behind, and control the bike
- share space with pedestrians and other cyclists
Bikeability Level 2 teaches you to cycle on single-lane roads and use junctions. At level 2 you can:
- prepare for on-road cycling
- start and finish an on-road journey
- recognise typical hazards
- let others know what you are about to do
- know where to ride on the road
- pass parked vehicles and side roads
Bikeability Level 3 teaches you to cycle on multi-lane roads and use complex junctions. At Level 3 you can:
- prepare for a journey
- understand advanced road positioning
- pass queuing traffic
- perceive and deal with hazards
- understand driver blind spots
- react to hazardous road surfaces
Collect the rewards
Every better cyclist trained with Bikeability will have a chance to get a badge and certificate in recognition of the level they’ve achieved.
Bikeability in the classroom
Continue learning back in the classroom or at home with our range of cycling-themed discussions, creative ideas and lesson plans, all designed to get the whole class passionate about cycling and its benefits.