Take a look at this handy calculator that will work out all sorts of health, carbon reduction, time and money benefits for you – all tailor-made, based on how many car trips you say you will swop for bike trips.
Our friends at Sustrans have some useful hints and tips about making your trips more environmentally friendly.
And check out what the Italian city, Bologna, is doing to encourage more cycling trips – free beer, icecream & cinema tickets! Perhaps you could encourage your local cafés to do something similar where you live?
If you fancy a bit of in-depth reading look at this fascinating report, commissioned by British Cycling, into the various benefits that cycling offers. Here are some key facts and figures, extracted from the report:
- Shifting just 10% of journeys from car to bike would reduce air pollution and save 400 productive life years.
- Cycling saves a third of road space, helping to reduce congestion
- More cycling and other sustainable transport could reduce road deaths by 30%
- Shifting 10% of short urban trips from car to cycle, in English and Welsh urban areas outside London, could save over 100 premature deaths annually.
- If people in urban England and Wales cycled and walked as much as people in Copenhagen, the NHS could save around £17bn within 20 years.